Is Organic Always Good For You? NO!

Yes  ... I said it.....

Great question!

I had one of my followers recently post the following comment to my last Organic v. All-Natural post:


Here is my problem with Organic, I think its great and if you can afford it DO IT!!!! However I know a lot of people who are convinced that beacause what they are eating is organic that makes it good for you...so not true. Organic pop tarts still have far to many calories a ton of sugar and so on. I'm all for organic, but don't think your eating well just because its organic.




So, let's discuss this to clear up a common misnomer.


Organic is not always good for you!  It's just BETTER for you THAN conventional.


Since the case of the Pop Tart has arisen, let's use that for our example.


Here are the two labels side by side - both representative of their Strawberry Frosted Pastries:


NATURE'S PATH ORGANIC                                   KELLOG'S POP TARTS


As you can see, the entire bloodline of both labels are within reach of each other.  They are both riddled with sugar and high in salt content - both are not healthy for you!


The main difference?  Well, Nature's Path is organically certified.  So, although it is very unhealthy, as is the conventional, we have learned that at least 95% of its ingredients are free of pesticides and additives.


For example, both unhealthy? Yes.


But would you rather ingest a product made with organic, pesticide-free sugar or a product with sugar derived from fields saturated in pesticides?


That is a personal choice.


We all know where I stand.


I hope that does help clear up that point. 


Thank you for the comment my faithful follower and I look forward to furthering such discussions in future posts!










































Comments

Sarah said…
Regardless of healthiness, that photo you used alone is enough to make me want a pop tart right now :P
Unknown said…
I'm coming over from Inspiring you to save and am your newest follower.

This is a very informative blog, can't wait to read more as I am a regular thrift store and Goodwill shopper and feel that I'm doing my part to go green!

Thanks,

Lisa
Kate said…
Absolutely agree. Just like everything in a health food store is not healthy...
Amy said…
I totally agree! You also have to consider the ingredients though and not just the organic vs not. Its also HFCS or natural sugar. Artificial coloring or natural? A few of the artificial food colorings have been linked to serious health problems. Things like HFCS and Agave nectar have a higher glycemic number than natural cane sugar also. You have to look at the whole product.

Great post! It always pays to be a label reader!
Unknown said…
Great article! New follower from Mailbox Mondays!
cherrypicks.by.humboldtcherry@gmail.com
Nancy said…
Hi there, I found you on Mailbox Monday!

I'm actually trying to make the transition to organic foods. I recently made organic cupcakes and some of my friends horked them down, saying, "It's okay, they're organic." It made me chuckle. Like anything else, everything in moderation is good for you!

Anyway, I've subscribed to you, feel free to stop on my lil corner!
Michelle said…
Oh, but the organic taste so darn good...lol! We do buy the organic pop tarts, but we don't eat them everyday. Everything in moderation at our house.m Peace. ;)

Blog Frog visiting. Love your blog, and am now going to subscribe. ;)
Anonymous said…
Hello! I am a few follower from FMBT! Stop on by our blog!

http://floridahoganfamily.blogspot.com/
Amber D said…
I'm so glad you got my point I didn't want to offend. Thanks so much, you are right even if its un-heathy if its organic it is still better.
Organic or not, you'd have to pay me GOOD money to EVER consume a pop tart. Yuck. Double yuck.

Popular Posts