Teach Kids the 3 R's in a Fun Way!

Great Way to Recycle!
Kids Learn to Reduce Reuse Recycle in a Fun Way
Guest Post: Neko

How classrooms can go green



Necklace made out of puzzle piece and computer packaging

Upcycled Fabric Snowflake

Ever wonder what to do with the "stuff" that is left-over when you finish an craft project. Stuff like yarn, felt, fabric scraps, snippets of scrap booking paper, or old buttons collecting dust in a tin, - those things just a bit too small to use. Well, here's an idea!

Why not donate them to a school. Teachers, like myself, are always looking for items to incorporate into their lessons. Varying the materials that are used to teach will provide a full sensory experience and make learning more hands-on and fun. I have often wondered what happens to all those beautiful ribbons and bows that are
left after the baby show or wedding is over. What happens to all the beautiful tissue paper and wrapping paper our guest carefully selected for that special gift. Even the greeting cards that accompanied the gift can be recycled. These are all items that can be recycled, reused and even "up cycled" to create lasting art.

I currently teach at a Fine Arts public elementary school where we believe that, if it is "safe" and not nailed down our students can turn it into art. Most of the students at my school live in low-income households and can not always afford to purchase school supplies. Hence, it is so important for our teachers, who often reach into their
own pockets, to think creatively when taking on various projects.

I try to recycle on a daily basis and teach my students about the importance and merits of recycling. Any items I have left-over from a completed projects are donated to my school. It's my way of doing something for our environment - it reduces the cost for the teacher and the kids have fun. If you are interested in donating unused craft items, that can be used by primary teachers, please contact me at: Bagitup4me@gmail.com

Finally, here is a quote I hope inspires you:

"Landfills don't need school supplies, books and computers - teachers do!"

Comments

Popular Posts