22 Weeks - Braxton Hicks - NEW ULTRASOUND
Hope you are having a great week!
We are in the latter part of our 22nd week - approaching our 23rd.
Beginning about 3 weeks ago (as I have blogged earlier), I started experiencing Braxton Hicks Contractions. Varying in frequency and intensity, I might only have one or two one day, but then another day have 4-5 per hour.
Our 5 month checkup was yesterday, which is why I tell you this. I told the doctor about the Braxton Hicks, which her nurse passed off as ligaments stretching..., and it slightly concerned her. With that, I was given an exam and an ultrasound to make sure that me and the baby were ok. This was also to show that the baby wasn't going to come early - God forbid.
Everything looked normal - - and new pictures! YEAH!
151 Beats p / Minute
Side profile #1
Side Profile #2
View from underneath - The bright white line that you see is his right femur. If you look hard enough in the small black space, you can see his boy parts :)
I must say quickly, though, that I LOVE LOVE LOVE our OB. She is such an amazing doctor, with great bedside manner, the willingness to spend as much time as is necessary to make us feel comfortable and answers all of our crazy questions :) In addition to all of this, she is extremely accepting of our position to do a natural childbirth and even suggested the Bradley classes to us, as well as the possibility of using a midwife at the hospital! We are very excited about that!
Other than that....
Jonathan is going to start painting the baby's room today!!! YEAH!!!
We have set dates for 3 baby showers between Labor Day and mid-October, so everyone should received one of the three invites! So excited to start receiving items off the registry to start filling up the nursery! (I'm not type A at all!!!)
I was spoiled with a prenatal massage yesterday! Wonderful! Helped relieve the back pain for at least a day!
Today, we had another Bradley Method class (of whom we were also blessed with an amazing instructor). We've learned, over the last two classes, about some laboring positions and coaching. Jonathan will be a great coach! Then we went and had lunch with one of the couples
in our class - some of the BEST pizza I think that I have ever had!
Here's all the fun stuff:
22 weeks - Belly Picture
AND - Probably next week, I'll be able to show my "popped" belly button - it is on the brink right now!
Where baby is:
*He is about 11-12" in length and weighs about a pound. To give some perspective:
He is the size of a summer squash:
Or a Papaya:
He also is the length of a package of OREO's and the weight of a large bag of tortilla chips!
* In two weeks, he would be viable if something were to happen where he would come early. Let's pray that this doesn't happen.
* He is starting to look like a little newborn - Lips, eyelids and eyebrows are becoming more distinct
* Tiny tooth buds are developing beneath his gums
* Eyes are completely formed, but the iris still lacks pigment - We are SOOO curious is he'll come out having the big brown eyes or the beautiful green / hazel eyes......
* Lanugo covers his body
* Pancreas is developing steadily
* His kicks can be seen externally with a twitching belly and felt with a palm on the tummy
* Sleep cycles are settling in and he is snoozing about 12-14 hours a day
* Nipples are starting to sprout
* He can distinctly hear through the womb now - We read every night to him, whether its Dr. Seuss or the Bible. He loves his daddy's voice!
* He has started to grow taste buds and may be able to detect strong flavors in the amniotic fluid. We were actually able to see him SWALLOWING his amniotic fluid yesterday! That was cool!
* The nerve endings in his fingers have developed and he now has a sense of touch. Because of the he will be touching his face and grabbing at his umbilical cord quite a bit.
* Hair on his head is starting to grow - a little white crop on the top - as it lacks pigment at this stage in the game.
WHERE MOMMY IS:
* As stated before, my belly button is about to pop!!! Crazy how it changes from day to day.
* Lots of lower back pain, which is being alleviated by heating pads, the chiropractor and prenatal massage.
* My tummy is now 35" across and I have officially gained 15 pounds past my pre-pregnancy weight......and its all in my belly area!!!
Well - that's it for week 22.
We will post again next week.
Jonathan & Melanie Melugin