Book Review: The Outlandish Adventures of Liberty Aimes


OK....OK....

I know that this is a children's book, but I checked it out from the library and really enjoyed it! Although I do enjoy reading books geared towards my age group, I like these young adult books as well, as I find that they are still well written, but have more fun and "magical" story lines.

The Outlandish Adventures of Liberty Aimes, by Kelly Easton, is about a young girl who is a prisoner in her own home. Libby, her nickname, has a very obese mother, named Sal, who she is constantly cooking for and a very tall, skinny and smelly dad, named Mal, who is a crooked insurance salesman and inventor.

Liberty, by sneaking into her fathers lab, is able to steal some potions that allow her to escape. In her adventures, she is able to fly, talk to animals, books, nature, etc. and is on a trek to find the Sullivan School, a very elite boarding school.

This book is intended for children around the age of 8 - 10 years old. The fantastical encounters that Liberty has throughout the book, the friends that she makes and the hope perceived in an oppressed child, is reminiscent of stories by C.S. Lewis. Combined with charming illustrations by Greg Swearingen, I would recommend this book to anyone that desires a quick and fun read!

Comments

Popular Posts