Don't Cry Over Spilled Milk?? ANXIETY!!!
You know the saying........Don't cry over spilled milk?
I understand this to a degree - why is there a point in getting upset about a trivial occurrence such as spilling milk?
But (especially to all those nursing moms) what if that is YOUR milk? Your liquid gold?
This post is not about actually spilling that milk (even though I've done that and it turned my stomach upside down!)....it is about the concept......when your milk is not enough to suffice.
Noah STILL does not sleep well......and everyone has advice to give.............everything from swaddling him at night to letting him cry it out. In addition, he seems to be hungry - A LOT! I was wondering if my almost 5 month old - 17 lb. little man was ready for solid foods.
So, I did what every first time mom would do - call the pediatrician.
In talking to the pediatrician via the nurse, they came to a couple of conclusions:
1) No - He is not to have solid food until 6 months - stick with milk and cereal
2) I do not produce enough milk in one sitting to fill him up - he needs AT LEAST 3-4 oz of milk at each sitting - I can only produce - maybe 2 oz. ----- and that is with extra pumping and Fenugreek!
3) He is eating WAY too frequently. He wants to eat about every 2 hours - 24/7........I've now become aware that its a combination of hunger and comfort.
SO - this was our solution.....
* Noah is supposed to eat cereal 3 times a day now. Mind you he eats about 6 oz. of cereal/milk.
* When he nurses, I have to have a bottle ready. Feed and then supplement.
So, in a nutshell. I have to use everything that I can pump out, what I have frozen..........and then I have to start formula, because I won't be able to produce enough for him.... :(
I must tell you that I was in tears in Jonathan's arms last night. Each to their own - breast or bottle, but I was adamant in solely breastfeeding. No formula. God's funny sense of humor, right? First I want a natural delivery - then Noah comes a month early - then I have to have a c-section.....now this!
Granted - I went 5 months solely breast milk.....I did well......AND I intend on continuing to nurse as much as possible.
OK - Point number two......
* Starting this weekend, he is moving to his own room! OMG. Talk about Mommy Anxiety!
* Once in his room, I have to go to the "cry it out" for 15 minutes throughout the night.
Oh! I am not ready for this.