Summer Energy Reducers
Well....if you have been watching the news, there are several areas of the country that are experiencing record highs.
We here in Texas, have had a break from our typical 100+ temperatures because of the Hurricanes in the Gulf bringing the rain.....and the humidity.
With temperatures increasing, including the soaring outages, here are some steps that you can take in your home to reduce costs and help to save the planet at the same time!
* When you are not home, increase your thermostat by a couple degrees. Do not overcompensate, though, because you will use more energy to try and cool the home off when you return.
* Use fans instead of your air conditioner - by using fans, it will allow you to increase your thermostat by about 4 degrees without any change in comfort!
* Avoid using the oven, when you can. Ovens pull a lot of energy, but all heat the home. Switch it up and use the stovetop, slow cooker or grill outside!
* During the day, turn off the lights! Make us of natural sunlight!
* Close the blinds! Keeping as much heat out is the key to a cool home!
* Turn down the thermostat on your water heater to 120 degrees.
* Take a shower instead of a bath....and then limit your shower to 5 minutes. You not only reduce the amount of water you use, but you also decrease the amount of heat released into your home.
* Limit the use of your dishwasher and washing machine / dryer. Only use them when full!
* Turn off all home electronics when not in use. Save energy, reduce heat.
I hope that some of these tips help keep you cool this summer!